For all of you who have been following twitter and hearing about Lance's new bike, here is bit more of the story.
Lance Armstrong's Tour Down Under bike is a stock Madone red series carbon frame with a full custom paint job. Although the bike went from a twinkle in the designer's eye to painted and built in less then a full week there was nothing easy about it. It took over 30 hours to paint the bike, not including curing time, that is strictly airbrush gun in the painter's hand pointed it at the frame...... Everything on the bike was painted in house at Trek by one of our Project One painters. There are no decals on the bike, the bike is 100% paint! When you see it up close it really is a site to behold, knowing that it was hand done makes it even more incredible.
Getting the bike to Lance has been an adventure in and of itself, delays, shipping mishaps, changed flight plans, canceled flights, driving in the snow, running through the airport.....and finally handing it off to Lance.
As anyone who has ever received or even purchased a new bike knows, there is something special about it that is indescribable. Even a guy like Lance who can have a new bike pretty much whenever he wants has a special appreciation for it. When I wheeled in his new bike he was smiling, happy and very surprised. He loves it! This has been an awesome experience for me, I got to deliver the bike that Lance Armstrong will race in his first race back out of retirement, I guess I am the only person who can say that......ever!
Here are the specs of the bike
- Trek Madone Red series carbon Pro fit frameset
- Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 wheels with custom LiveStrong/1274 decals. X Lite clinchers for training, XXX lite tubulars in the race.
- 1274....The number of days Lance was "retired".
- 27.5...million people is the approximate number of people that died from cancer during that same time.
- Bontrager XXX lite VR handle bar and XXX lite stem 120mm x 7 degrees
- Bontrager RXL saddle with Ti rails
- Sram Red Component group
- Sram SRM Cranks. 175mm crank arms, 39/53 chainrings and 11-26 cassette
- Shimano Dura Ace pedals
- Bontrager Cork handlebar tape
And some photos of the bike and delivery.....Thanks to Kendal from Nike for the shot with Lance and the bike.